Photo showing a dropped kerb outside someone's driveway

Applications for dropped kerbs / vehicle crossovers

The purpose of a dropped kerb, or crossover as it is sometimes known, is to provide easier access for vehicles moving between public highways and off-street parking areas.

The crossover also works to strengthen the footway by allowing vehicles to pass over without causing damage to either the footway or the numerous services usually located under the surface.

How do I apply for a dropped kerb or vehicle crossover?

First, you need to establish if planning permission is required. Permission will be needed if your property is:

  • On a classified road on the Island (A,B or C road)
  • A flat, maisonette or multiple occupancy home
  • A listed building or in a conservation area

You can view conservation areas, apply for planning permission and find the relevant forms at Isle of Wight Council’s planning department webpages ( If planning consent is required for your property, please wait until approval has been given from the Isle of Wight Council’s planning department before submitting an application for a dropped kerb or crossover to the Island Roads team.

What if planning permission is not required?

If you contact our help desk, you can be sent out an application form and return it to the Network Management Team at with a cheque for the inspection fee, made payable to ‘Ringway Island Roads Limited’.

When we receive your payment, we’ll send out an engineer to carry out a site inspection, usually within 10 working days.

Once your dropped kerb request has been approved, we will send you a written quote. If you decide to progress with your application, as soon as we receive your payment you will have 3 months to decide to take it further.

What is the minimum area for a dropped kerb or vehicle crossover?

The parking area for the vehicle must have measurements in excess of 4.8 metres by 2.4 metres for a parking area perpendicular to the carriageway or 6 metres by 3 metres for a parking area parallel to the carriageway. Measurements are to be taken from beyond the back edge of the footway.  In addition, there must be adequate visibility in both directions as specified in the Application Form.

How much will a vehicle crossover cost?

A dropped kerb is priced on the measurements required, the depth of footway and the type of materials used.

The current inspection fee you pay on application is neither refundable nor deductible. It is a one-off fee that covers the cost of an engineer attending site, putting together the estimate and processing the paperwork. You may also have to pay for the costs of moving anything that may be blocking your new access, including:

  • Lamp posts
  • Gas, electricity or water boxes
  • Parking bays or restrictions

Residents driving over footway without a dropped kerb.

If someone on your road is driving over a footway where there is no dropped kerb, or has installed a dropped kerb without permission, please report this to us. We will send out an inspector to investigate and contact the resident where they will have one of the following options:

  • Apply for a properly constructed dropped kerb
  • Return written confirmation that they will no longer cross the footway

If neither of these options is taken we will take further action, which may include uninstalling the dropped kerb and charging the resident for the cost of doing so.

Can I construct a vehicle crossover myself?

Only contractors who are on the Street Works Qualifications Register are permitted to construct vehicle crossings. If you are using an approved contractor to carry out the works, you must complete this form.