Drains, ditching and flooding

Island Roads is responsible for routine ditch and gully emptying and emergency clearance of ditches and drains when flooding of roads or footways is occurring.

Highway drainage is used to clear surface water from the highway. It is not designed to cater for run-off from adjacent properties.

What drainage is Island Roads responsible for?

Island Roads is responsible for the drains in the kerbside gutter. If you need to report a problem with the kerbside gutters, please contact our help desk on 01983 822440 or complete an online form.

Can Island Roads help with sewerage, sewers, drains and drainage?

Domestic sewer and drainage problems are dealt with by the Isle of Wight Council’s housing department. They can offer advice to customers and also enforce the laws covering drainage and sewers. Please contact the Isle of Wight Council’s call centre on 01983 821000 or visit www.iwight.com for more information.

Sewerage pipes and manhole covers in the highway are usually controlled by Southern Water. Southern Water can be contacted on 01983 526611.

How do I report flooding from drains and gullies alongside the highway?

To report an incident of flooding from drains or gullies, call the Island Roads help desk on 01983 822440 or report it via our online form. 

Extensive periods of rain can cause water to engulf roads and drainage systems. What should I do if I encounter any known groundwater flooding on my property?

Any instances of flooding should be reported to the Island Roads help desk on 01983 822440 or reported via our online form. You must not discharge water on the highway, especially during a flood, as water can freeze and form ice on roads. Alternative discharge points should be available, such as connecting to a regular highway gully. These can be installed if they’re not present. Under no circumstances should you discharge water in to the sewer system as they are not designed to accommodate flood water and the pipe can quickly become overwhelmed with water, which can cause flooding of foul water.

Surface water run-off may cause flooding or icing and subsequently create a source of danger to the public. What should I do if I encounter any surface water on my property?

Any instances of excessive surface water should be reported to the Island Roads help desk on 01983 822440 or via our online form. You have a responsibility to prevent surface water running off your property onto, or across the highway. You must not allow water from down pipes or gullies to discharge onto the surface of the highway, either directly or by leakage. Down pipes and gullies must be checked regularly to ensure they are in good repair.

What is a highway gully?

A highway gully is a drainage pit covered by an open metal grating located on the edge of the road. The purpose of the gully is to drain water from the highway into the drainage system.

What are surface water sewers?

These are large underground drains that connect the highway drain to an appropriate outfall (ditch/rivers/sea). The sewer carries surface water, although in some circumstances highway drains are connected to contained sewers which are the responsibility of Southern Water. These are discharged to the sewerage treatment works.

What is a soakaway?

A soakaway is a drainage pit covered by a metal cover or sometimes soil, which allows rainwater from buildings to permeate into the surrounding subsoil, which typically the landowner takes responsibility for.

What is a highway drain?

A highway drain is a pipe connecting the highway gully to the surface water sewer. This enables rainwater from the highway gully into the surface water drainage system.