Street Naming and Numbering

Naming and numbering of streets and buildings is important for identifying property and ensuring properties and street names and numbers are logically allocated.

The Isle of Wight Council is the statutory authority for the naming and numbering of streets and buildings on the Isle of Wight, however, Island Roads support the Council in administering this duty.
Correct property naming and numbering aids responses to emergencies by ambulance, police and fire services and helps a variety of national and local organisations operate effectively. All Streets are recorded in the National Street Gazetteer (NSG) and all addresses are recorded in the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) to BS7666 standard format.

What happens after I have applied for a new address or property name change?

Our Street Naming & Numbering department passes the information onto Royal Mail who makes the relevant changes to their data and allocates post codes where necessary. A letter of confirmation is sent to the applicant by Island Roads.

This information is then sent to various interested bodies including National Land & Property Gazetteer, Emergency Services, Ordinance Survey, Land Registry, Utility companies (Gas, Water etc.) and the Isle of Wight Council.

How do I change the name of my house?

To change the name of your house, download an application form, complete it, email it to or send it by post to Searches Officer, Development Control, Island Roads, St Christopher House, 42 Daish Way, NEWPORT, PO30 5XJ. (If the property has a house number as the main property identifier then there is no need to inform Island Roads of a name change unless it is a business address and the name of the business appears in the official address. The house number must always be used).

Please be aware that if you email the form to us, you will need to pay with either a debit or credit card. If you wish to pay by cheque, please post the form to the above address with a cheque for the applicable fee.

I am developing a single property/small development- how do I number properties?

If you are a developer of a new property (single or small development), you should contact us as soon as you commence work on site. A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. You MUST supply a site plan that accurately shows the position of the new property/properties and the point of entry/front door. Name suggestions will be required for new buildings off a named properties street (property numbers not used). If a plan is not supplied you will delay your application until all the necessary information is received. To complete a form, click here.

How long does it take?

A property name change or to address a new build should take up to 10-15 working days. To generate a new road name takes approximately 6-8 weeks.

What are the current charges for Street Naming and Numbering services?

To view all current charges, please click here.

What is my post code?

You can log onto and use ‘Postcode Finder’ to find the correct postcode for your property.

If the address is not showing on their website then the property may not be officially addressed. Please contact Island Roads on 01983 822440 or email  for further advice.

Can I name my house without contacting Island Roads?

Yes. If the property is already numbered then you can additionally name the property (an alias) as long as it does not conflict with an existing property name in that area. The property number must always be clearly displayed and visible from the carriageway to assist the emergency services and deliveries etc. You only need seek permission from Island Roads if there is no number allocated in the official address (i.e. if the property has been allocated a name as part of its official address). Royal Mail will not display an “alias” on PAF (Postal Address File) as it will not form part of the official address.

General advice

To view advice on the naming and numbering of properties, please click here.